Sunday 13 May 2012

Hope you had a happy Mother's Day


I hope you all had a happy Mother’s Day  - yesterday for those of us in Aussie and today for those of you still in Mother’s Day. Thinking back to the Ghosts of Mother’s days past I suspect there were some lovely gifts, some funny, some a bit weird but charming, some that truly came from the heart.  

One family story I have been told is that when I was a little girl and taken shopping for a gift for my mum I chose a heavy glass beer jug, the kind where the top curls in at the side of the pouring lip.   The grown-ups with me tried to talk me out of it because my mother was a dyed in the wool teetotaller – a result of a very difficult childhood.  Nothing however would dissuade me and I’m sure my mum oohed and aahed over the jug when I proudly presented her with it.  Now I have that jug  and I treasure it as a reminder of my Mum.

When my kids were little there were the usual gifts from the school mother’s day stall, which all the mums had donated items to.  And of course the treasured cards made with little hands and printed so carefully.

My sister –in-law, when she had her twins and brought them home, had 4 children under 3.  She was much more organized than me.  The first time my brother gave his kids money to go and buy her a mother’s day gift they went off in four different directions to find the right gift. Every one of them bought plastic flowers. Now my sister-in-law hated plastic flowers with a vengeance and had never had them in the house so I suppose the kids thought they were a treasure and said sister-in-law had to display them for months until they were forgotten and she could finally throw them out.

These of course are the gifts we really cherish because they are so personal from our children. So I hope you all have spaces for little handmade cards or if your kids are grown maybe you have some from your grandchildren. Now I have grown kids and two daughters took me out for breakfast and spent the day with me.  It was just lovely.  I know they are so busy in their lives but they spared the time for me.  The boys contacted me from a distance away and I had a lovely chat.

Now today things have gone back to normal. But the memories stay – both old and new to warm my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from my readers!