Tuesday 1 May 2012

Victory for a Technophobe


The sun has been out today – Hurrah!  And right now the late afternoon sun is highlighting pockets of the bush at the back.   My mother used to say to me towards the end of her life “after I’m gone if you want to think of me think of me at dusk”.  Isn’t dusk a lovely word?  For my mother I think dusk represented ‘downing tools’ time and relaxing. And so I often do think of my mum at dusk. I love how the sun creates that lovely wash of golden light at this time of day.
CED has now taught me how to download photos and put them into the blog. I am very chuffed with myself that I can do this.  So yesterday I bought a new camera.  The other one was held together by blue-tac.  Well not really all held together just the card inside was held down with blue-tac so the camera recognized photos on the card.   So I’ve been out and taken a couple of photos of the golden afternoon sunlight on the bush and have read the instructions on how to download the photos and hopefully put them on the blog.  I don’t think it has captured the real beauty of the colour but what the heck let’s do it anyway.
As I ventured into the daunting technical details of downloading Digital Camera Solutions Disk, and then when that was done, downloading  the photos from the camera, all the while reading the instructions carefully, I thought back to a woman who about four or five years ago told me she had come home from work one afternoon to find her four year old playing a game on the computer.  The woman knew this was a game she had just bought and had not yet opened or installed.  She asked her little boy – remember he was four years old – who had installed the game.  “Just me” he said cheerfully.  “How did you do that?” she asked.  “Well you just put the disk in and then keep pressing yes and its there, see?”    Now I, along with this mother, was mightily impressed by this, and have never forgotten it.
So I reminded myself today – if a four year old can do it then I can be brave and courageous too and stop worrying I’ll break the thing.  Just keep going and keep telling yourself “I think I can!  I think I can! I think I can!”, and bury the panic every time it starts to creep up until you say “I know I can  … I DID it.  Go me”.
Now to all of you technically very clever people who scoff at those of us who are actually scared of new technology – I believe we are called technophobes, see it’s an official disorder- I say “everything is relative and we take our victories where we find them”.  
So now new photos are downloaded and not only that I have adjusted the colour and other technical details.  Be impressed folks, be very impressed.  And now I will download one of the photos right here on this blog right now to show you.  It may not be the best photo ever, but it is mine and represents a great victory over technophobia. To all the other technophobes out there, there is hope for us all.  One day soon all this will be operated by voice command and we will just tell the technical thingies to sort themselves out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from my readers!